Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Evaluating Web 2.0, sort of

I'm not 100% sure I need to do this assignment and I'm pretty sure I'm about to do it in the wrong way, but here goes:

Instead of hunting for a new Web 2.0 tool, I'm going to use the 2.0 evaluation form to assess my use (and my colleague Amy's use) of our school's own wiki/blog site to post instructional grammar videos as part of a "flipped classroom" experiment. We use our wiki daily to post homework assignments and important documents; this particular unit was/is more singular, though, and that's all I'm really discussing for the moment.

So...

1. How does this advance my curriculum and apply to my content area?
The wiki itself advances my curriculum in practical terms, because I use it to post assignments and, particularly, to post instructional videos designed to provide students with content (in this case, about grammar) outside of class so that they can practice applying it in class, where they can work together and I can help them. Amy and I made the videos ourselves, so we had control over the content and relevance -- the videos are just as relevant as class itself.2. Is it secure?
Yes. Students must sign on, and only those given direct permission by the tech department (class members and teachers, essentially) have access.
(easy to get to questionable content?)

No, because it's not a search engine. If I (but I wouldn't) or a student (rare but not unheard of) posted something inappropriate, everyone with access to the wiki would be able to see it until someone with administrative privileges -- not me, actually, but again, the tech department -- removed it.  (will the student work remain private?)
Yes, aside from the fact that it is visible to others with permission to access our wiki (65-100 people total, depending on the year).3. Does it enable students to gain a deeper understanding of the content in a critical, creative manner?
Yes, for the reasons listed above. Also yes because I believe that the flipped instruction model worked fine, even well, in our classes this year.


I also think that this tool (the wiki vehicle) and the model of instruction we're using it to foster (flipped instruction) could work much better if we took more full advantage of the interactive nature of the wiki. Our plans for next year include requiring both old-fashioned moves, such as evidence that each student took notes while watching the videos, and more new-fangled, such as daily or weekly discussion board participation that might take the form of posting questions about that night's new concepts or posting answers to other students' questions about those new comments. We will make other changes to flesh out the skeleton we developed this year. I'd be happy to explain them, should anyone be interested. 


For the moment, assume I'm pro-2.0.


No comments:

Post a Comment